What is ISO 27001 ?ISO/IEC 27001 is the international standard for information security management. It has given the set of guidelines for implementing independent assessed and certified information security management system (ISMS). This helps the business to have secured all information whether confidential, commercial or financial data with minimizing the likelihood of it being gained illegally or without consent.
What is ISMS?An Information Security Management System (ISMS) is a set of policies and procedures designed to improve management of critical security assets such as financial information, intellectual property, employee details, or confidential third-party data. An ISMS is implemented by an organization to improve security and manage risk associated with its information assets, regardless of how the information is stored or transmitted. These set of rules and regulations are devised by the organization itself by inculcating the security feature and gist of standards
Why it is important?Information security breaches are increasing in frequency and severity across every industry, causing a range of negative impacts for businesses, their employees, and their customers. An ISMS is a systematic approach to manage sensitive company information so that it remains secure. It includes people, processes and IT systems by applying a risk management process. It can help small, medium and large businesses in any sector for keeping information assets secure.
Benefits of Information Security Management System 27001
- Gain stakeholders and customer trust that their data is protected.
- Show transparency in the business to interested parties increasing their faith and credibility.
- Helps in complying the business with legislation and keeps you up to date.
- Allows to securely exchange the information without any loss or breach.
- It improves enterprise security with continual improvement and helps the organization keep ahead of changes irrespective of internal or external. A systematic approach gives a clear view how the system works.
- Consistency in the delivery of your products or services. Enhanced customer satisfaction, gain status as preferred supplier.
The approach to Information Security:ISO/IEC 27001 sets out the requirements for an Information Security Management System (ISMS) and the Plan-Do-Check-Act security management cycle. The Annex A of the standard provides a comprehensive set of information security controls regarding aspects of security areas for any organization. Implementing world-class certified ISMS in the organization definitely gives a competitive advantage. On the other hand, possessing the necessary knowledge and proven skills to implement an ISMS that is compliant with the requirements of ISO/IEC 27001 distinguishes yourself from the other organizations at global level.